Hummus is one of the more popular Middle Eastern dips. Served with fresh or toasted pita bread, hummus makes for a great snack or appetizer. Tahini is an important part of the hummus recipe and cannot be substituted. However, it can be omitted.
- 1 cup dry Chick peas
- 6 garlic pods
- 2 tbs lime/lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tbs Tahini/Tahina (sesame seed paste)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup water or Just enough water to grind the peas to a smooth thick paste
- Wash and soak the peas for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook peas along with water and garlic until peas are thoroughly cooked and is soft.
- Grind it into smooth paste along with garlic and tahini sauce by adding enough water from the cooked peas or tap water.
- Add lemon juice and salt to taste. Drizzle with olive oil while serving.
- For a spicier hummus, add a sliced red chile or a dash of cayenne pepper.