- Long grain rice (Pachari)- 2 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Freshly grated coconut -1 1/2 cup
- Shallots/small onions – 5-6
- Fennel seeds (perumjeerakam) – 2 tsp
- Rice powder – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Wash andd soak the rice in normal tap water for 4-5 hours.
- Grind it along with water until you get a coarse and grainy mixture.If you can grind the rice with less water you need to add less rice powder only).
- Add coconut, fennel seeds and roughly chopped onions to this and grind for few seconds until everything is just crushed.
- Tip the whole mixture in to a large bowl, add salt and mix well.
- Add the rice powder and mix everything well using hands.
- Place a large kadai on high heat. Take a large lemon size ball and flatten it into thick discs(combined width of 2-3 pooris) using the fingers by placing it on a plastic sheet.It should not be too thin.
- Hold the plastic sheet in one hand and remove the pathiri using the other hand and carefully put into hot oil.Smear the fingers and palm with oil to avoid the dough sticking to the hand.
- After sometimes it will float on top and puff up.Flip it over and fry both sides until golden brown color.
- Serve with Malabar chicken curry or any non-veg Curry…