Malabar Chicken Curry or Varutharacha Chicken Curry
A popular Authentic Kerala recipe prepared by adding roasted coconut with spices. This tastes great with Naan, Chapati or Roti
- Chicken – 1/2 kg cut into medium size pieces
- Onion (Chopped) – 2
- Garlic (chopped) -1 1/2 tsp
- Ginger (chopped) -1 ½ tsp
- Green Chilly (Slit) – 3
- Tomato (chopped) -1
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder- 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1/4 ts
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Fennelseeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon – 2 small piece
- Shallots – 5
- Coconut Oil/ Vegetable oil -1 tbsp
- Salt -to taste
- Curry leaves – 2 twigs
- Heat a frying pan and dry roast the grated coconut,shallots and all the spices(fennel seeds,cloves,cinnamon and cardamom) on low-medium heat till coconut becomes brown in color.Remove from fire,allow to cool and grind the mix with little water to a fine paste.
- Heat a non-stick sauce pan and add oil .
- Saute chopped onions,green chillies and saute well.
- Add the ginger and garlic in to it and saute until raw smell goes off.
- Add turmeric powder,coriander powder,red chilli powder and saute well.
- Once the raw smell goes,add the chopped tomato.Cover and cook on medium flame until the tomato is well cooked.
- Add chicken pieces and 1/2 cup water,stir well.Cover and cook till chicken is almost cooked.
- Finally add coconut paste and curry leaves and let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Yummy chicken curry is ready.