A South Indian dish popular throughout India
- Raw rice (Idli rice/Pachari)) – 1 cup
- Urad dal (Uzhunnu parippu) – 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek seeds(Uluva) – 1 tsp
- Cooked rice – 1/2 cup
- Salt – As required
- Soak rice and urad dal seperately for 6 hrs.
- Soak the fenugreek seeds along with urad dal.
- Grind urad dal and fenugreek seeds to a smooth paste adding water little by little.
- Similarly,grind rice and cooked rice to a smooth paste adding little water.Mix both the batters well .
- Cover and keep the batter to ferment in a warm place overnight.In cold climate,the batter can be fermented by keeping it in a warm oven.
- If the batter has risen well,add salt and mix the batter very lightly.
- Take greased idli moulds and pour the batter into each mould filling only 3/4 of the mould. Steam for about 15-20 minutes.Wait for it to cool down a bit before taking them off from the moulds.
- Serve hot with sambar or any chutney.