- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Hot Water – 3 cups
- Onion, thinly sliced – 1
- cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – 2 small pieces
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cardomam – 2
- Bay leaves – 2
- Black pepper corns – 6
- Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Fried onions
- Fried cashewnut and raisins
- Coriander leaves
- Wash the rice and soak it in water for at least 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Pour the ghee into it and add onions and sauté until the onions just starts turning pink. Then add the spices and saute for a minute.
- Now add the drained rice and saute the rice well in ghee for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile you could heat/boil the water.
- Add the hot water into this,add salt to taste and boil on high heat. When the water starts bubbling well reduce the heat and continue cooking until the rice is done and all the water is absorbed.
- Garnish with fried onions,cashews,raisins and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with raita or chicken/mutton curry.