Lamington - Australian sponge cake that is covered in chocolate and coconut
For the cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 125 gm unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 7 tbsp sugar, powdered
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup milk
For the Chocolate icing
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl beat together butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy.Add the eggs one by one and beat until incorporated.
- Add the flour in batches and mix well by adding milk little by little in between.Add in the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 c for 30-35 minutes.Allow the cake to cool and cut into square pieces.
- To make the icing:Mix together sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl. In a saucepan boil water and add the butter. Once the butter melts add this to the sugar-cocoa powder mix and stir well to get a thick syrup. Keep aside.
- To assemble lamingtons: Place the coconut in a plate.Pick a piece of cake using a fork, dip it into the chocolate icing till well coated and allow to drip off the excess chocolate.Roll in dessicated coconut covering all sides and allow to set.