Egg Fruit or Canistel
- The yellow flesh has a sweet earthy flavour and a meaty texture similar to a boiled egg. The fruit is delicious eaten fresh out of hand with a little salt and lemon juice added.
- Easier to use it as an ingredient in dishes such as custards, ice creams and milk shakes.
- Like most fruits, canistel fruits are rich in a number of vitamins and nutrients. They are particularly rich in carotene and niacin. They also have a good amount of ascorbic acid.
- Elephant yams have a unique nutritional profile and offer a number of significant health benefits. This makes the elephant yam a very potent food source when it comes to nutrition. It is also an excellent food source for those who are looking to lose weight. However, the elephant yam is a cooling food and so patients suffering from asthma, sinus infections, or a cold should avoid eating it.
- The elephant yam is widely used in the treatment of patients suffering from piles.
- The vegetable also suits people with hypertension as it has a cooling effect on the body.
- Yam is considered to be a healthy low-fat food so it can be consumed without any fear of weight gain.
- It is a rich source of essential fatty acids (Omega-3 fatty acids) which are known to increase the good cholesterol levels in the blood.
- It also act as anticoagulant (prevents blood from clotting).
- Yam offers special health benefits to people with diabetes as it has a very low glycemic index.
- Eating elephant yam helps in increasing the estrogen levels in women’s bodies, thus helping in maintaining the hormonal balance.
- Yam is also high in vitamin B6. Consuming vitamin B6 provides relief from pre-menstrual syndrome in women.
- Yam is known to contain Diosgenin, a hormonal molecule that is currently being experimented for its potential anticancer effects.
- It is a natural product that is high in fiber . So it can be used as slimming food because it lowers cholesterol levels and promotes weight loss.
- It is a natural cure for constipation and irregular bowel movements.
- Yam also has a high concentration of key minerals. It is loaded with potassium, magnesium and phosphorous, as well as with trace minerals like selenium, zinc and copper.